Canada Visa Sponsorship – Immigrate to Canada

Canada visa sponsorship

Looking for Canada Visa Sponsorship guide? This is where to be. In this post, we will teach you all you need to know about Canada Visa Sponsorship to enable you seamlessly Immigrate to Canada.

About the Canada Visa Sponsorship Process

You may be able to sponsor certain relatives to immigrate to Canada under the Family Class if you’re at least 18 years old and a:

  1. Canadian citizen or
  2. person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
  3. permanent resident of Canada

If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must:

  1. support your relative financially when they arrive
  2. be able to meet basic needs for yourself and your relative, such as food, shelter and clothing
  3. make sure your relative doesn’t need social assistance

Who can Sponsor?

Canada visa sponsorship
Canada visa sponsorship – Apply Now

You can sponsor certain relatives if you’re 18 years of age or older and a:

  1. Canadian citizen or
  2. person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
  3. permanent resident of Canada

You must live in Canada to sponsor eligible relatives unless you:

  1. are a Canadian citizen who lives abroad and
  2. plan to return to Canada when your relatives immigrate and are sponsoring your:
    • spouse or
    • common-law or conjugal partner or
    • dependent children who have no dependent children

If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor after we approve you as a sponsor. This includes signing an “undertaking” with the province. This is a contract that binds your sponsorship.

Your responsibilities

When you sponsor a relative to become a permanent resident of Canada, you must:

  • meet set income guidelines
  • agree in writing to give financial support to your relative and any other eligible relatives coming with them:
    1. beginning on the date they become a permanent resident
    2. for up to 20 years (depending on their age and how you’re related)

The person you sponsor must sign an agreement saying they will make the effort to support themselves. This includes sponsored dependent children 18 or older. Dependent children under 19 don’t have to sign this agreement.

Who isn’t eligible to sponsor a relative

You may not be able to sponsor a relative if you:

  1. are in prison
  2. have not paid your alimony or child support payments
  3. have declared bankruptcy and haven’t been released from it yet
  4. got social assistance for reasons other than being disabled
  5. didn’t pay back an immigration loan, made late payments or missed payments
  6. sponsored another relative in the past and didn’t meet the terms of the sponsorship agreement
  7. were convicted of a violent crime, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence, depending on details of the case, such as:
    • the type of offence
    • how long ago it was
    • whether a record suspension was issued (formerly called “pardons” in Canada)

Other things not on this list may stop you from being able to sponsor a relative.

Canada Visa Sponsorship: Who Can You Sponsor?

You can only sponsor relatives like a brother, sister, aunt or uncle in very specific situations. If your family member doesn’t meet the criteria below, you can use our Come to Canada tool to find out which programs they may be eligible to apply for.

Depending on your situation, there are 2 options for who you can sponsor.

Orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild

You can sponsor an orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild only if they meet all of these conditions:

    1. they’re related to you by blood or adoption
    2. both their mother and father passed away
    3. they’re under 18 years of age
    4. they’re single (not married or in a common-law or conjugal relationship)

You can’t sponsor your brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild if:

    1. one of their parents is still alive
    2. no one knows where their parents are
    3. their parents abandoned them
    4. someone else other than their parents is taking care of them while one or both their parents are alive
    5. their parent is in jail or otherwise detained

Other relative

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

  1. you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don’t have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
    • grandparent
    • orphaned brother or sister
    • orphaned nephew or niece
    • and orphaned grandchild

2. you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:

    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
    • registered Indian under the Indian Act

If the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada, you must include them on the same sponsorship application.

Examples of who you can sponsor

See the examples below to better understand who you can sponsor.

Example 1: Eligible to sponsor an aunt

Veronica doesn’t have a spouse or a common-law partner. She has no children, and lives in Canada as a permanent resident. Her parents and grandparents have all passed away and she doesn’t have any relatives in Canada who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents or registered Indians. Veronica would like to sponsor her aunt Betty, who she is very close with. Her aunt Betty is married and has a daughter.

Veronica meets the requirements to sponsor her aunt because she doesn’t have:

  • a close living relative she could sponsor instead (such as a spouse, partner, child, orphaned sibling, parent or grandparent) and
  • any other relative such as an aunt who is a citizen, permanent resident or registered Indian of Canada.
    On the application, Betty will be designated as the principle applicant and her husband will be designated as a dependant.

Betty’s daughter can be included on the application only if she qualifies as a dependent child. If her daughter is older than the age limit or she doesn’t meet all the requirements, she can’t be added to Betty’s application and will have to immigrate to Canada on her own.

Example 2: Eligible to sponsor a cousin

Sam is an only child. His parents and grandparents have passed away. He was raised in the United States by his only cousin. He immigrated to Canada as a permanent resident. He’s single (doesn’t have a spouse or a common-law partner). Sam doesn’t have any relatives in Canada who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents or registered Indians. Sam wants to sponsor his American cousin. His cousin is single (doesn’t have a spouse or a common-law partner).

Sam meets the requirements to sponsor his cousin to come to Canada because he doesn’t have:

  1. a close living relative he could sponsor instead (such as a spouse, partner, child, sibling, parent or grandparent) and
  2. any other relative who is a citizen, permanent resident or registered Indian of Canada.

Example 3: Not eligible to sponsor an aunt by marriage

Aba is a Canadian citizen. The only family she had in Canada was her mother, who passed away. Aba has always been close to her mother’s only brother and his wife. Aba’s uncle recently passed away, and Aba would like to sponsor his wife (her aunt by marriage) to come to Canada. Aba does not meet the requirements to sponsor her aunt, because they’re not related by blood.

Canada Visa Sponsorship: Who you can’t sponsor

You can’t sponsor someone who is inadmissible to Canada. This means they’re not allowed to come to Canada.

Canada Visa Sponsorship: Eligibility stages

There are two stages in the process for your eligible relatives to become permanent residents.

  1. You apply to sponsor your relatives.
  2. Your family members must apply for permanent residence.

Plus, you must send both your sponsorship application and the permanent residence application for your relatives at the same time.

To apply as a sponsor, you must be at least 18 years of age and a:

  • Canadian citizen or
  • person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or
  • permanent resident of Canada

We’ll process your application to sponsor and write you to tell you if we approve your application.

How to apply

You must now apply online as it is now mandatory to apply online.

If you can’t apply online, and require accommodations, including for a disability, you can ask for the application in another format (paper, braille or large print).

The Instruction Guide (IMM 5196), will help you fill out the forms properly.

1. Apply to sponsor

You need a Document Checklist — Sponsor [IMM 5287] (PDF, 821.91 KB)

  • Use your checklist to make sure you include all the forms and documents you need.
  • Upload the checklist with your online application
    Your visa office may also require additional documents.

Choose the visa office that serves your area.

  • If you are not sure which one to use, see our list of countries and which offices serve them.
  • Upload the visa office instructions and any additional documents with your online application.

SEE ALSO: Canada Government Scholarship for International Students – Canada Visa – Apply Now

The sponsor must

  • download and complete these PDF forms
  • digitally sign, along with the person you’re sponsoring (principal applicant)
    1. Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344] (PDF, 478.72 KB)
    2. Financial Evaluation [IMM 1283] (PDF, 1.24 MB)
    3. Medical Condition Statement [IMM 0133] (PDF, 2.3 MB)
    4. Forms for giving someone else access to your application or information – see Using an immigration representative
  • have the non-accompanying parent or guardian download, complete and sign this form by hand, if this applies
    • Separation Declaration for Minors Travelling to Canada [IMM 5604] (PDF, 1.99 MB)
  • download, complete, and sign this form by hand along with your common-law partner, if this applies.
    • Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 0.78 MB)

The person you’re sponsoring (principal applicant) will

  • upload them to their online application
  • electronically sign for the entire application, including those of any other family members

2. Steps for the sponsored person (or if under 18, their guardian or you on their behalf)

Sign in or create a Permanent residence online application portal account (opens in a new tab).

Fill out these digital forms online

  • Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
  • Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669)
  • Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)

The person who fills the forms will also need to upload the sponsor’s completed and signed forms.

SEE ALSO: Canada Government Scholarship for International Students – Canada Visa – Apply Now

Using an immigration representative

If you’re a representative, find out how you can create an account and submit applications on behalf of your clients.

If you want to appoint someone to do business with us on your behalf, you must

  • download a Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 1.48 MB) or Authority to release personal information to a designated individual form [IMM 5475] (PDF, 2.2 MB) – which ever applies
  • complete it
  • sign it digitally or by hand and get your immigration representative or designated individual to do so also
  • upload it with your application

An immigration representative (an immigration consultant or lawyer) can give you advice and help you with your application for a fee. But they can’t

  • open a portal account on your behalf
  • electronically sign the application for you
  • sign into the portal using your username and password

A representative can fill out forms and communicate with us on your behalf through their own account. They can also

  • help you prepare the documents you need to upload
  • answer questions about the forms

After you read the declaration, you must be the one who types your name. This is the legal requirement for your application to be considered “signed,” according to Canada’s immigration law.

Photo specifications

You need one photo for each person on your application.

Follow the instructions in the online application to scan and upload both sides of the photo.

Technical issues

If you’re having technical issues with the permanent residence online application portal, contact us using the web form

  • under type of application/enquiry, choose technical difficulties from the drop-down menu
  • in the text box, specify that you’re applying under the Parents and Grandparents Program to make sure you get a fast response
  • upload screenshots from your account that show us
    • the page where you’re having problems
    • the error message(s) you get

If you need to upload a number of images, find out how to combine them into 1 document.

Get fingerprints and photo taken

If you’re between 14 and 79 years old, you may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics).

Find out if you need to give your biometrics

  • The biometric fee must be paid when the application is submitted. Otherwise you may experience delays.
  • Get this done as soon as you get the letter from us that tells you to give biometrics.
  • You have 30 days to do this from the date on the letter.

Temporary changes to biometrics

Book your biometric appointment as soon as you can to avoid processing delays.

If you can’t book an appointment by the deadline on your biometric instruction letter, there may be measures in place to help you.

  • Measures for Ukrainian nationals and their family members
  • Measures for other applicants affected by the situation in Europe
  • COVID-19 measures

Pay fees online

Find out how to pay fees.

Submit the online application

Before you submit the application, make sure you:

  • answer all questions
  • electronically sign your application (type your full name exactly as shown on your passport)
  • include your processing fee receipt
  • upload all the supporting documents

Originally posted 2022-12-20 21:21:18.

Leave a Reply